Does buying cheap mean cheap

YorkshireBiker

YorkshireBiker
Posted

I’m wanting to introduce toys into the bedroom and don’t really have much knowledge on this. Neither does my wife as doesn’t use them and never has.

We did try one many years ago when we were younger but I bought a cheap one online. It wasn’t received well and really put her of using them. It was a cheap plastic vibrator with a silicone penis that slotted over. 

I think we made a mistake buying a cheap one and this ruined the experience for her. Is there a difference between cheaper and more expensive vibrators, is there a specific type for inexperienced user and are they all suitable for use in both of us?

I have no idea how to start on the toy journey or what to start with.

Posted
You get what you pay for.

Depending on what she likes you can always opt for glass (temperature play), waterproof toys for shower time fun, panty vibrators that can be controlled by remote. There are cock rings with clitoral stimulators on them so you can both enjoy it while you’re having sex as well. If you want to try different types of BDSM tools you can start work the basics like floggers, crop, paddle, restraints (hand cuffs, blindfold, ball gag, etc). There are lots of options and many online shops have couples options you can look at as well.

Be careful what kind of lube you use with your toys as well as some lubes aren’t compatible. Water based lubes are usually compatible with everything or you can use a hybrid lube. The toys usually says what lube works best for them.

What l have found to be the most fun and best way of finding toys my partner and I like to use is by going to a good local sex shop and walking around and looking at everything. See what sparks her interest and what she is intrigued by. Buy it, and test it out. You don’t have to break the bank but don’t go for the cheapest thing either. I hope that was useful ☺️
Posted
I'd recommend the rabbit or wand. Clitoral stimulation is what works best with the women I know. And yes, you definitely get what you pay for. I've worn cheaper toys out in one night and they couldn't be revived.
Posted
Agree with Tess on the vibrating cock ring as well. Definitely worth trying.
Posted

Only thing I would add, before going INTO a store, perhaps explore online WITH your wife, to determine what actually sparks an interest.

And it is true that you get what you pay for, but you can buy many items at different price points, so it is wise to shop around and compare.  Toys CAN be expensive, but don't have to be if you  invest yourself and a little time.  There are many suggestions even just here on the site for different outlets.

Posted
I've been selling toys for years and if you go to cheap they won't last but you don't have to spend a fortune either.
Most the toys are made in the same factories just packages different I've sold toys for £15 that an ann summers rep I knew was selling for £60 and she said there was no difference.
Wands and glass dildos are very popular and a good place to start you can get a good rechargable wand for about £20 and glass dildos from around £10.
You can always spend more later on when you figure out what you both enjoy good luck with it and remember have fun
YorkshireBiker
Posted

Thank for the replies. It’s a challenging and we don’t know what she would like, if there even is anything. I think that’s why we went cheap (I’m recalling about £6 or something just to test the water).

The soft feel of the silicone was an issue so I’ll look at hard feel. 

I do remember she’s mentioned a few times over the years that the likes it when I have cold fingers but I didn’t know this temperature play was a thing so I’ll definitely explore that. 

Posted
The cheap toys are generally made from low grade materials that harbor bacteria and cause adverse reactions. Do an online search for reviews of “body safe sex toys”. Look it over with you wife and pick one out together. If she’s interested in temperature play, find a nice surgical steel or glass toy. They are very easy to keep clean and will last a lifetime.
Posted
It depends what sort of sensations and play you are looking for (the web comic ohjoysextoy might help: see Reviews Best Toys for suggestions). If you are looking at Long Distance remote play (with each other or randoms), the Lovense seems to be the lead: Dolce appears good for both genital sets if you like external direct vibes (Lush for the ladies internally) but can be a bit pricey (around £80, but I do have discount code if you want to DM). I would personally get a couple of cheap small toys and first see what /sort/ of sensations suit you both best (perhaps nothing internal, perhaps direct clit but small cheap vibe doesn't do it: so a Hitachi magic wand may be the way, if clit+internal then some sort of rabbit) etc. Use cheap as guidance and then look at purchasing a proper toy (which will be 3-20x more pricer than cheapos)
Posted
Lots of sites/suppliers regularly have sales, if your budget is limited, I'd suggest saving your *** for when the sales are on to maximise value for ***.
Posted
In my experience, it depends on what you are trying to buy.

A buttplug e.g. is just a slab of silicone/TPE/Rubber, nothing can go wrong with it there. Indeed, my most favourite plug is my cheapest aswell.

Electronics, restraints, latex etc. Are best purchased in person in my experience.

E-stim and vibrators can have unreliable/non-waterproofed charging ports or cables that could tear if not well-mounted.

Rubber and Latex: best check for double-seams and the thickness of it. 0.4mm seems to be the gold standard in the community, but i find 0.6mm a lot more safe to wear. Less tearing, more comfort, more fun.
Posted
Why don’t you go in one of the sex-shop in your city ?
YorkshireBiker
Posted

Anxiety issues along with low self esteem and self confidence. It something I’m working on but at the moment I’m not even comfortable taking about this stuff with my wife. I’ve spent years just been quiet and disappearing into the background so I’m sorting myself out. 

Posted
In building my toy collection I have found that the more expensive toys are worth it in both quality and performance. A good quality rabbit will cost around 60 quid.. or a very nice wand around 50.. just depends on what you and your lady are looking for. The best I've bought is a company called LELO but they are top end of the range. For dildos or butt plugs a great company for quality is phreakclub . Lovehoney is a good place to go . Often have sales on as well .. it might be worth having a sit down with your lady and bring her into the shopping experience discuss what she would like and let her guide the choice..
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
My experience with adult toys.....yes, cheap has been pretty cheap and unsatisfying. Good luck...communicate with your wife. The two of you can do this!