What is in a name.

Ch****

Posted
1 hour ago, Setrion said:

I, as a young child, was infected by reading The Lord of the Rings and for years thereafter every name I made was in an (poorly understood) imitation of elvish conventions. I've gotten a little less elaborate over the years, but I still stick to an aesthetic. This isn't a conscious choice; I'm just trying to make the name "sound good" and "sound like a name", but looking at what I've come up with, patterns emerge. 

My names will almost always be three syllables with primary stress on the first one. I prefer exclusively light syllables, although I cheat the final syllable by using a sonorant coda to make a false dipthong. (One of my names breaks these rules by having stress on the final syllable which has a true dipthong and an N coda for superheavy status.) I then try to diversify my consonant types, i.e. if I already have a sibilant I won't use another, and I tend to alternate "softer" (sibilant, liquid) and "harder" (stops, fricatives) types. Exactly one of the syllables will have a complex onset.

There isn't exactly a meaning behind the name, but there is a feeling to it. The name needs to feel good to say and to hear. 

You educate much? 😂 After reading this I was looking for my cap and gown 😂. Great post and thanks for the breakdown

MisstressStorm
Posted
3 minutes ago, doubletrouble129 said:

You educate much? 😂 After reading this I was looking for my cap and gown 😂. Great post and thanks for the breakdown

You educate much is wrong on so many levels ..bro🤣

i think you’ll be looking for a cap and gown for a while yet ( I’ve got my BSc thanks )

thanks for all the laughs for all the wrong reasons 😅😂🤣

Posted
10 minutes ago, MisstressStorm said:

You educate much is wrong on so many levels ..bro🤣

i think you’ll be looking for a cap and gown for a while yet ( I’ve got my BSc thanks )

thanks for all the laughs for all the wrong reasons 😅😂🤣

😂 I'm being so serious. I read profiles and converse with quite a few people on here. A lot of your words people had to look up. If I was not a scholar myself I would of had to look up a few. You know your post was a straight up English class for a few. Diphthong, fricatives, coda, 😂. No cap. Still a great post

Posted
8 hours ago, doubletrouble129 said:

😂 I'm being so serious. I read profiles and converse with quite a few people on here. A lot of your words people had to look up. If I was not a scholar myself I would of had to look up a few. You know your post was a straight up English class for a few. Diphthong, fricatives, coda, 😂. No cap. Still a great post

Not an English class, phonetics 🙂. I took a degree in Linguistics, just for fun. I just like playing with words. Some people take apart radios to see how they work; I take apart ideas.

Posted
2 hours ago, Setrion said:

Not an English class, phonetics 🙂. I took a degree in Linguistics, just for fun. I just like playing with words. Some people take apart radios to see how they work; I take apart ideas.

Thank you for the clarification. And for also proving my point. Your post made sapiosexuals mouths water 😂

Posted
At EDM festivals, I am the Rave Mommy for 30 members of my family, and we have 10 sub squads with 5-10 members each. I look after all member of my family, making sure they get accommodations and travel plans, I give away 1 all expenses paid trip to each festival, so on and so forth.
Posted

After the French mathematician and I've used it since I was a ***, old habits die hard 🤪

Posted

I’m big in size & personality & my sudo name is Polly

Posted
SXM are the initials to names I gave to the three aspects of my soul, which can be mapped onto Superego-Id-Ego, Spirit-Body-Mind, Air-Earth-Water, etc.
Posted

Somnambule Agité is French for Restless Sleepwalker

Posted
On 8/4/2023 at 5:12 PM, gemini_man said:

Having just Googled and seen some of the urban dictionary definitions of Copper Top I would count yourself lucky to have got confused 🤣😂

I had to go check it out and the results were rather interesting. 

Posted
On 8/4/2023 at 9:58 PM, doubletrouble129 said:

Yes I agree there profile is rather interesting.  But I actually need to read it correctly.  Iv not slept yet so brains asleep.  It's rather good compared  to some iv seen.

I always read profiles. Iv had some awesome conversations with people after reading there profiles.

If you ever want to have a conversation drop me a message. I'm not as articulate an clever as most on here.  But I'm always up for a chat .

Posted
19 hours ago, sxmJames said:

SXM are the initials to names I gave to the three aspects of my soul, which can be mapped onto Superego-Id-Ego, Spirit-Body-Mind, Air-Earth-Water, etc.

Why did you name your soul. And what do they mean. I'd like to chat  about it if your willing.

Also.what is a soul. Do we really have one

Posted (edited)

It's a shortening of a name I used in a online game ages ago. People don't seem to read it right and call me an assortment of shortened parts of it. Best to look at it as the 2 words that make up the name "Locket Heart."

Edited by locketheart
Posted
August 4, Chiana said:
Mine came from a character from a sci-fi show back in the early 2000s. We have similar personality traits

Farscape!!!

Posted
August 4, Setrion said:

I, as a young child, was infected by reading The Lord of the Rings and for years thereafter every name I made was in an (poorly understood) imitation of elvish conventions. I've gotten a little less elaborate over the years, but I still stick to an aesthetic. This isn't a conscious choice; I'm just trying to make the name "sound good" and "sound like a name", but looking at what I've come up with, patterns emerge. 

My names will almost always be three syllables with primary stress on the first one. I prefer exclusively light syllables, although I cheat the final syllable by using a sonorant coda to make a false dipthong. (One of my names breaks these rules by having stress on the final syllable which has a true dipthong and an N coda for superheavy status.) I then try to diversify my consonant types, i.e. if I already have a sibilant I won't use another, and I tend to alternate "softer" (sibilant, liquid) and "harder" (stops, fricatives) types. Exactly one of the syllables will have a complex onset.

There isn't exactly a meaning behind the name, but there is a feeling to it. The name needs to feel good to say and to hear. 

I know none of what u describe. But bet I took a screenshot and tom I'm gonna Google the hell outta your post and figure out just what all you meant by it. Wow I didn't know all those existed in putting a name together. I can't wait to dig in. Thank you!

Posted
6 hours ago, LoveMeVehemently said:

Farscape!!!

I loved farscape. I forgot all about it till I read your post

Posted

What I have fount from reading these post that some of us actually do put thought into.a name.

We're as others just go with a rather common name that doesn't seem like they put much thought into it

Posted
^ my name is just letters that comes from my irl name that are put together in a pretty nickname 🙈🫂
Posted

Well what a perfect place to ask something that's confusing me somewhat. 
I see quite a few ladies incorporate the word slut into their name. As I generally chat to newbies and try to steer them to the safer side of Kink, they often get offended (rightly so, stupid assumption on my part) when I mention anything to do with slut/sluttiness. I explain that in BDSM and to a lesser extent in Vanilla, slut has been reclaimed to mean a woman who is highly sexed and enjoys exploring her talents to the max. A badge of honour.
"For 20 years The Ethical Slut has dispelled myths and showed curious readers how to maintain a successful polyamorous lifestyle through open communication, emotional honesty, and safer sex practices. The third edition of this timeless guide to communication and sex has been revised to include interviews with poly millennials (young people who have grown up without the prejudices their elders encountered regarding gender, orientation, sexuality, and relationships), tributes to poly pioneers, and new sidebars on topics such as asexuality, sex workers, and ways polys can connect and thrive. The authors also include new content addressing nontraditional relationships beyond the polyamorous paradigm of "more than two": couples who don't live together, couples who don't have sex with each other, nonparallel arrangements, couples with widely divergent sex styles, power disparities, and cross-orientation relationships, while utilizing nonbinary gender language and new terms that have come into common usage since the last edition."
However...I've also noticed some ladies here who I have the utmost regard and respect for adopting the word 'Whore' as part of their name. I've had a look aound the web and can't see anything other than it still being a very perjorative term. Have I missed something? Maybe it's a degradee thing. I've absolutely no issue of course, their free choice,  just jarred a little when I saw it knowing how engaged with the scene they were. It's a word I'd not use. 

Posted

@VKD

I have no idea why people  have the word slut in there name. Even though I'm female I can not give you an answer

It's not luke sub, pet or little. They are self explanatory. 

I did know 1 kinkster on here with slut in her name. Her sir gave it her. But he did like to watch her get fucked by groups of men all at 1s so maybe that's were it came from.

Years ago it did mean what you said it meant.  But things seem to have different  meanings now days.

Pleased to meet you I'm charms

Posted

when i started out 30 years ago, the internet was in it's infancy so we didn't have much choice, it was either bullitin boards yes i can still remember the alt.com newsfeeds haha for yahoo chat.  What i did notice was a hell of a lot of similar names "sub this sub that, Dom this Dom That"   so chose something that would stand out a tad more, inline with one of my fav books and allowed me to express a character and have more freedom of action.  It was fun times, oh those halcyon days of IC chat and the IRC servers haha.

• 1 month later...
Posted
Firstly , hi Charms , it’s been a while since we last chatted 😘

Secondly, I , tbh didn’t put that much thought into my user name , I just needed one quickly before I chickened out on joining here so I went with my fav colour , which I then found out purple was also code to say u were a newbie , oops , and Sarah cause that was the name I gave at nightclubs to guys that I didn’t want to get involved with but wouldn’t stop till u told them your name , how times have changed

Sometimes it’s all just that simple but well done to those that really did put thought into it