Leather restraints and harnesses.

Saddler

Posted

I always found it hard to find decent quality leather restraining gear. Everything just looked a little cheap and riveted together. Where are my fellow saddlers and why aren't they applying their skills to this area. I had to make my own in the end but does anyone know a company that makes them the old fashion way.....most in the saddlery world are quite prude. Are there any others on here?

Posted

Yeah I don't know why that is either. The only thing I know above pawstar and what you can get on etsy is Firebird leather. She does great stuff but she specializes in floggers not cuffs. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Luna89 said:

Yeah I don't know why that is either. The only thing I know above pawstar and what you can get on etsy is Firebird leather. She does great stuff but she specializes in floggers not cuffs. 

So do you think there is a market for hand cut and stitched stuff or do you think people are happy with whats out there?. 

I'd love to talk to a few people and see what they want. Saddlery is a dying skill and I'd love to turn my talent to the kink scene.

Posted

I think there is definitely a market for it. It would be a bit of a challenge because quality leather tends to chafe.  Cuffs and Collars being worn against the skin would be a problem. That's why faux fur lined and mixing in different fabrics is so popular but that would ruin the leather's quality look. It's a conundrum to be sure.

Posted (edited)

Oh it would all be lined but those are exactly the sort of suggestions I'm after. I've made a pair already for home use but I no one thats into it to discuss ideas with.

Edited by Saddler
Hit button early
StringsAttached
Posted

What about keeping the quality while mixing materials, ie suede or velvet backed with saddle-quality outer leather for strength?

Posted

I thought about suede but was worried about friction burns. I had an idea to give them a sheeps wool type lining that could be removed for washing.

Posted

Saddler, you’re a man after me own heart, I’m really keen to learn how to work with leather and make stuff, harnesses cuffs, basques, masks. I’d say there’s a market... but there’s a lot.... lots and lots of stuff on Etsy, that may be cheep but is probably sufficient for most, so may not be a big market.

Any suggestions on where to learn?

Posted
1 hour ago, Erik295 said:

Saddler, you’re a man after me own heart, I’m really keen to learn how to work with leather and make stuff, harnesses cuffs, basques, masks. I’d say there’s a market... but there’s a lot.... lots and lots of stuff on Etsy, that may be cheep but is probably sufficient for most, so may not be a big market.

Any suggestions on where to learn?

I started as an apprentice and got main training and qualifications through a saddlery college. The whole thing took about 4years but I was learning for about 6 altogether and entering competitions. It can be done quicker but its not easy. There is only one college in England that works directly with the Masters guild of saddlers. To learn the techniques any other way I would suggest buying books...lots and lots of books to do with saddle and bridal making. They will teach you about the leather that you will be working with and tools you will need...then go onto YouTube and follow the basic lessons on there for making belts and moulding leather. Anyone can cheap leather and rivet it together but to take a full cow hide and turn it into something is a completely different kettle of fish. If your near Walsall, Birmingham then ask around the main saddlers based there. Some may hold workshops...Walsall is like the saddlery Mecca.

Posted

My father was a master upholsterer and taught me all he knew, although he said I would probably struggle with making furniture as I was female ( old fashioned lol) so I make leather harnesses, cuffs, collars and extendibles. Also chastity belts..crops and paddles. And I also make paddles out of wood. I made my Sir s leather carriage case for Christmas to put all his kink gear in when on the move.
The ones I make are bespoke.. designed to fit and ill shortly be making top and bottom harnesses that are interchangeable. They are beautiful yet totally functional.
I love working with leather and wood. And am looking forward to expanding ding my range now I have the time.
Im currently making Sir his own stocks

Posted
Monday at 07:55 PM, Luna89 said:

I think there is definitely a market for it. It would be a bit of a challenge because quality leather tends to chafe.  Cuffs and Collars being worn against the skin would be a problem. That's why faux fur lined and mixing in different fabrics is so popular but that would ruin the leather's quality look. It's a conundrum to be sure.

I made my collar over a year ago. I've been chained, strung up and yanked around by it. I've also slept in it when I've been too exhausted to take it off. And its never chafed. Neither have my cuffs , my chastity belt or my harness. Snd Sir has used my expendables to cuff me up in just about every possible position. They are all hard wearing, functional and very comfortable.
Im opening my Etsy site soon...and unlike most they won't cost the earth...but will last.
Its all about the leather.. and how you use it.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

It is so refreshing to finally see a serious discussion about leather on this site.  I agree, today, that most purchased leather items tend to seem cheap---both in workmanship and the quality of the leather.  It is the curse of mass production.  That was why I got into making my own stuff, back in the day.  I specialized mostly in custom clothing, though I also made floggers and restraints (note the gauntlets in my profile pic).

I would definitely like to see more discussion about "play" with some of the more elaborate leather items.  As a Dom, I am always learning, and I never fail to discover something new with each discourse---technique, safety, the overall experience.  Still, I am bewildered that, on a fetish site, there appears to be so little interest in leather.  I recently came across another discussion on this forum, about interests in leather hoods.  The topic was over a year old, and long dead.  Ironically, I had never had the opportunity to employ such an item in my play sessions.  So, I was interested in learning more about it.  But, it seemed that the discussion had quickly died, after only a few, brief, "me too" replies.  Hopefully, this discussion will show more life.

On the question of "chafing", one option is to glue a thin piece of garment leather to the rough back side of the heavier leather.  That way, both the inside and outside are smooth and sensuous.  Another option is to use a softer, oil-tanned leather, like latigo.  Such leathers are just as heavy as the standard, veg-tanned, belt leathers, without being as stiff and abrasive.  I often used latigo for restraints, because of its softer, more-sensuous nature.  There were those who doubted that such a pliable material could be truly effective.  They soon learned otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

One day I would be happy to try leather “sleepsack” with full leather lining, to be squeezed in that by a nice woman, having a leather lined deprivation hood or a motorcycle helmet on and don’t know what kind of “***” is going to happen...

Posted

Please let me know when you open your shop on Etsy or anywhere else Pagan.

• 3 weeks later...
Leatherneck
Posted

Good morning,
This is an interesting subject and one that has been banded about in the workshop a number of times over the years.
I am a professional leatherworker and teacher and have taught a number of students who have gone on to make this sort of equipment to a very high standard.
I think the issue is connecting the makers to the customers.
Most credible leatherworkers are capable of making this sort of equipment but may not want to advertise the full range of what they can make as it were, as such, people are not finding them.

The issue is they do not know where show off their wares to find the right audience.
Evidently, high quality items that are hand made can be very costly, the market is flooded with low price, low quality leathergoods so it is hard to find the right place or people.
So in short, where are you looking for your equipment so I can point those that can towards those that want.

I/we  are new to the scene taking our first steps so know very little of where to look, I just know our gear has good!
If you have ideas, share, there are plenty of openminded leatherworkers who are happy to help. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Hi all,

new to this Forum, but this discussion is exactly what I was looking for too!  I am an amateur leatherworker.  I've made bags, belts, some stuff like holsters for Nerf guns (for Steampunk), masks, etc.  I am very interested in trying to apply those skills that I have to BDSM-typer leather items. 

For those that are new to leatherworking, you can do a lot worse than looking at Dieselpunk.ro on Etsy (and Etsy is a great place to sell your stuff, as you can create a shop which is not linked to your real life persona).  The patterns from Dieslepunk.ro, and others such as SteampunkRUS96 and CreativeAwl, are all pre-designed and have stitching holes marked on them (you can still stitch them with traditional saddlery methods too).  They are usually supported by videos or written instructions with pictures too.  RVLeatherPatterns actually sells patterns for BDSM items too.