Munch Notes/Agenda - All Things Shibari - 11th March 2021

li****

Posted

Munch Notes/Agenda - All Things Shibari - 11th March 2021

*Backdated munch notes/agenda, please feel free to add if you have any questions or comments

Hosts: @Liam52@lil-monster

Content Contributors: @Liam52 @lil-monster

1.Does any one know the definition of Shibari and where it originates from?

•Shibari is a contemporary form of rope bondage that originated in Japan and originated from Hojo-jutsu, a method of restraining captives and a form of ***, before morphing again into the erotic bondage Kinbaku (Kinbaku-bi literally translates as “the beauty of tight binding”) in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

•The word shibari actually means “tying” and kinbaku means “tight binding.

2.What are the usual terms/roles  used in this type of bondage?

•The Dom or top being the Rigger
   •The sub or bottom being the bunny

3.What are the different types of rope you can use and what can be the pros and cons?

•Jute - springier and lighter than hemp and linen, knots well, unties well, but can be difficult to care for, many use it for suspension, also won't stretch out and can be used for restrictive ties and Shibari

•Hemp - soft, knots easily, easier to care for than jute, slightly stronger than jute can be used for the same as Jute

•Linen - (similar to hemp): softer than hemp, knots fairly easily, machine-washable

•Cotton - soft, knots easily, but is difficult to untie; not recommended for suspension due to its knotting (and stretch for some makes, though this can vary widely) cheaper cotton is very weak but it can be very decorative and good for Shibari pictures

•Nylon - soft, little grip, stretchy, can be dyed, machine-washable (because of how slippery nylon can be, we wouldn't recommend this for beginners) also comes in vibrate colours looks good for pictures but it doesn't hold knots very well

•Bamboo/Rayon and Silk - typically the softest of the ropes (so, good for bedroom bondage), knots easily, but the stretch makes it unsuitable for suspension; also expensive

•Coconut - rough and scratchy, good for sadistic play, but easily breakable and not suited for other purposes

4.What are the best lengths and diameter of rope to use?

•Length - Most rope made for bondage is sold in 7 or 8 meter lengths (23 to 26 feet) some like to go up to 10 meters also but it's a preference on how much you think you'll use etc

•Diameter - Typical bondage rope is between 5mm and 8mm in diameter, with 6mm being the most common.

5.Does anyone know of the basic knots for Shibari?

•Larks head
   •Square knot
   •Prusik knot
   •Cross hitch
   •Two half hitches
   •Double coin knot
Then for restraint ties
   •Collum ties
   •Double collum ties

6.Does anyone know the best way to store rope?

•Recommend that you store your ropes in a cool, dry, open location away from sunlight when possible

•Keep your rope as dry as possible. Not only does this lengthen the life of the rope, but it also helps to kill any contaminants on the rope.

7.Do you know how to care for your rope?

•Most synthetic ropes i.e nylon can be washed, but we recommend doing so by hand with a very mild detergent. Some synthetics can be washed in a machine, but be careful with knotting or abrasion by the agitator

•If you must get natural-fiber rope i.e jute and hemp wet in order to clean it, use cool water and a mild detergent, then air dry the rope under mild tension.

8.Would you know how to treat your jute and hemp rope?

•Treating hemp and jute you can do by boiling the rope for about 20 minutes, then dry by hanging the rope and weighing the ends for tension. When it's dry run the rope through either a carabiner or metal ring to make the fibres stand up. Then burn off the fibres quickly by running them over a gas ring then then after this wipe off any soot left then you oil the rope you can use either baby oil, coconut oil, bees wax etc if you do use wax it's best to bake the rope for 20mims so the wax penetrates the rope but really I will always recommend already just buying it already treated for you it will be a little bit more expensive but it's worth it.

9.Do you know what to do safety wise when practicing Shibari?

•Always make sure you have a pair of safety scissors at the ready

•Always make sure you're communicating with each other throughout ask if they are ok etc?

•You can use your safe word also if you need to get out quickly

10.So for suspension bondage do you think the Dom or top needs to know what he or she is doing? If they don't what could happen?

•The sub or bottom if the suspension isn't done correctly can be seriously hurt by falling

•Improper placed rope can impinge on nerves that can cause nerve damage, any numbness or tingling must be communicated to the Dom or top this can cause *** clots if not told about straight away

11.Would you class rope play as a type of sensory play?

12.Does any one have and questions or comments to add?

Thank you all who attended the Quarantine Munch and to our hosts for the evening @Liam52 and me 

Posted
3 hours ago, lil-monster said:

Would you class rope play as a type of sensory play?

Great post lill and Liam. 
as for your question is defo part of it. Once tied up, by the texture or even the smell, the pressure on skin or more sensitive places, all these send signal to the brain and interpreting/associate with ***, pleasure or any other triggers. Some Master could even induce orgasm to their bunny or subs, ropes partners. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, FabSeverus said:

Great post lill and Liam. 
as for your question is defo part of it. Once tied up, by the texture or even the smell, the pressure on skin or more sensitive places, all these send signal to the brain and interpreting/associate with ***, pleasure or any other triggers. Some Master could even induce orgasm to their bunny or subs, ropes partners. 

I agree 100% for sure. When Sir's hands are tieing me up I love that feeling of his hands as he does his work, the roughness and tightness of the rope gets me in the feels also 

Posted

Any more online munches? I had never seen one of these offered

Posted
1 hour ago, NYshelteredwife said:

Any more online munches? I had never seen one of these offered

We have a munch every Thursday night at 8pm UK time in a designated chat room called Quarantine munch!! Hopefully you can join us 

• 11 months later...
Posted

Rope, properly used, is a tool of communication, an extension of your hands and intent. It is a language with that has pauses, changes in tempo/tension and tone. Think how many ways you can touch somebody with a single finger and all the different things that can say from sensual to aggressive...taunting...dominant...soothing....just about anything you can think of! Now, do the same with rope ;-)