Age filter?? Does this make me ageist?

Je****

Posted
3 hours ago, Lady_Char said:

This! Stop giving me matches that are so much younger. We're not a match, and I haven't been able to find a way to tailor the matches so the ***ure is remotely useful to me. Matches for me exist between 35 and 50, but everyone's preferences are unique so let us set paramaters and then suggest peeps.

I totally agree with this! Make it useful or put an off button on it!

Posted
I don't think it's ageist at all. You're not discriminating against somebody. Some people don't mind a big age gap. I keep getting suggested matches of people in their early 20's and that's something I'd find deeply uncomfortable. You're right to seek what you're comfortable with I think.
Posted
Yeah... someone half my age or more makes me feel a bit uncomfortable to think about them in any sexual way.
Posted
12 hours ago, omii said:

You really need some george carlin in your life, thank me later

Ageist is a word… it’s used when discrimination based on protected characteristics, in this case age.

Posted

So, yeah, ageism/ageist is both a word and a real problem - like a lot of isms it can sometimes be difficult to see clearly : but for example if we say a 24 year old with 6 years experience can't be a Dominant but a 40 year old with 2 can be, that's ageism.     If we have club or event, excluding those aimed a specific group, where you turn up and are turned away because you're 50, that's ageism.

But, if you have a preference that you don't want to date someone x older or x younger, that's not

just as it's not sexism if you only want to date women (or men)

Posted

apologies all, some of this is getting a bit off topic, so I'm going to do some housekeeping to keep it relevant

Posted
2 minutes ago, FETMOD-KF said:

apologies all, some of this is getting a bit off topic, so I'm going to do some housekeeping to keep it relevant

Thank you! 8

Posted

no problem, Sorry Jen.  Hopefully things will stay apt for the discussion

Posted
I think it comes down to maturity and what you like, I personally do not feel it’s ageist. I wouldn’t like to be dating those at the ages of my Daughters (who are over the age of 18) as I feel the maturity level is not there for me
Posted

Thank you. 
I am glad to know I am not ageist, I just feel uncomfy with ages especially online, it's hard to gage people and their mannerisms, and for me I do find it could be beneficial for some sort of viewing/interacting filter, as I previously mentioned, it can help those into older people / younger people to find each other easier, if their not blocked out by this feature. And saves the people unsuitable from time and effort wasted. 

I have but all given up on online dating searches for now. Perhaps I may find it a bit more better to navigate if I can only see my desired age range (and hopefully not in an all too far location) at some time in the future. Perhaps some day soon! 

I love peoples of all sorts of backgrounds, ages and locations, but for my dating process, I am much more strict on my own boundaries. I know I am not alone in this which provides some reassurance it's not just me being sensitive haha

Posted
1 minute ago, GoodGirl1003 said:

I think it comes down to maturity and what you like, I personally do not feel it’s ageist. I wouldn’t like to be dating those at the ages of my Daughters (who are over the age of 18) as I feel the maturity level is not there for me

This comes into play massively for me. The maturity level is so easy to see from a first message, and with younger people towards me thus far, maturity has been absent in 98% of my interactions. 

It's easier to gage someone in person I feel, body language, speak and mannerisms, which are not at all easy to spot online. That and a lot of people use filters on their pictures and many appear older or younger than they are, which I feel would make me so put off if I met someone and got off site terms, to learn they look 10 years younger than pics with a mindset to reflect this. This feels at times catfishy which is another main reason for me preferring real life in person dating and meets for now.

Posted
Something got removed that put my previous comment on a different context I think, which is that I think it’s the maturity more than the age, but finding that maturity in someone much younger is more unusual. I have had dynamics with younger people but choice and individual preference are what they are - there shouldn’t be obligation. Eg if there was no chemistry at all with someone you wouldn’t pursue even if they matched criteria… we just like what we like :)
Posted
3 hours ago, Chloebear said:
Something got removed that put my previous comment on a different context I think, which is that I think it’s the maturity more than the age, but finding that maturity in someone much younger is more unusual. I have had dynamics with younger people but choice and individual preference are what they are - there shouldn’t be obligation. Eg if there was no chemistry at all with someone you wouldn’t pursue even if they matched criteria… we just like what we like :)

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head! Sometimes attraction can put you outside of your preferred age range but this is a rare thing! Not to say it couldn’t happen but as stated there has to be a level of maturity there as well as a form of attraction for it to work, but Jens point of view is no less valid and if experience of the past has meant that she has a firm stance on this then that is pure choice and not at all ageist!

Posted

yeah, I think for any kinda "I wouldn't normally, but..." it usually takes someone displaying characteristics and offering evidence that makes them an exception

rather than insisting you should make exceptions 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
Its not "-ist" to have preferences. Don't let anyone shame you into spending your time on them if you genuinely aren't interested.