Munch Notes/Agenda - Branding in BDSM - 22nd Oct 2020

Th****

Posted

*All intellectual property in these notes belongs to @Cade.*

Host: @Cade

***BEFORE WE BEGIN: I'd like to make a quick disclaimer that this is not a discussion on "how to brand", but more a Branding101 on better understanding branding. Please DO NOT think that you will be competent to brand someone because you are at this munch. I repeat, DO NOT try to brand someone if this munch is the extent of your knowledge and experience in branding.***

What is branding/artistic burning?

A form of body art/modification or scarification in which designs and patterns are burnt into the surface level of the skin, the art emerging from scar tissue once healed.

Is there a difference between them?

While essentially the same, the notable difference is that an artistic burning is often a general image with some personal meaning tied to it, where as a brand carries the significance of ownership, and is typically a specific design to denote the depth of one's claim on another. Although both are significant in the BDSM/fetish realm, this munch will be more focused on branding in regards to ownership.

Why choose branding?

There are several ways to display ownership: collar, piercing, tattoo, branding; it's all very much a personal choice and all valid in representing one's claim of mastery. For some, the permanence of scar tissue represents the enduring connection between owner and property, while a brand can also serve to add physical significance to oaths taken between partners.

Speaking further on alternatives to branding:

- Genital piercing has long shown command over another, while adding an "ownership tag" (like a dog tag or symbolic trinket) is a great way to show ownership.

- Tattoos can be extremely elaborate and detailed, beautiful works of art to show ownership; TSR (the Slave Registry) can issue you an unique number and barcode for your property which looks great as an ownership tattoo.

- Collars are a staple of the BDSM realm to show one's dominion over someone else, and no less true for ownership; chains and metal collars can even supersede locks to be permanently affixed around a neck with specialty screws only the owner will be able to remove easily.

How much does branding hurt?

A lot. Haha. *** is fairly subjective, but the sensation caused by branding is unmistakable and primal. I have yet to see anyone not instinctively flinch in that first moment searing heat touches their flesh. Much like a tattoo, the *** tends to dull after a time - although this is more due to nerve endings being burnt away, lowering sensitivity within the burned area. In this, we can consider the standard burn scale: first-degree burns are very surface level and second-degree burns are the most ***ful, with third-degree burns being little to no ***. Branding is a controlled third-degree burn.

The healing process is where we see the greater majority of *** in branding, which will be discussed later.

What are some design considerations?

Keep it simple. Given the unpredictable nature of healing flesh, you want a very simple design with no fine detail. Although the burn itself may be thin, the wound spreads much like working with watercolors. Likewise, flesh responds to trauma differently; lines too close together may become a single scar, as well as, there's a high probability of scar tissue filling in closed shapes like circles and triangles (imagine the letter O turning into a ball of scar tissue). When designing a pattern for your brand, remember the adage: "Less is more".

Where on the body is best to apply a brand?

Focus on flatter areas of the body away from joints, nerve clusters, and over arteries/bones close to the surface of the skin. Avoid fattier sections (heat from the brand may render fat tissue causing increased scar spread) and skin that is stretched (may increase scar spreading and uneven pattern from the brand being pulled). Rather the buttocks, consider the outer thigh, as example.

What are some of the methods?

- UV. Perhaps the easiest and least invasive, this method uses sunlight to create a temporary brand.

- Cell popping. A step below full branding, this method uses needle-like metal rods; lightly touch the heated point causes skin cells to pop (thus its name), leaving a small pock mark burn that can be tied together like a connect-the-dot image.

- Single strike. The most familiar form of branding, this method uses a plate of metal shaped into the design to transfer, then heated and pressed to flesh. This method is commonly used on ranch and farm livestock to show ownership. Called single strike as it should only take a singe burn to create the full brand.

- Double/multi strike. Same as the single strike method, but uses multiple metal plates to create a more elaborate design.

- Cautery pen. This method uses a medical device called a cautery pen to draw the design into flesh. the instrument resembles a large magic marker, except the tip is a heating element that burns up to 2200°f/1200°c (and over in some models). This is the RECOMMENDED method on human flesh for safe and even burning.

- Electrical. This method uses a violet wand set to high, the spark generated able to burn skin. Biggest downfall is the spark can be unpredictable and erratic.

- Chemical. This method uses chemical reactions between acid and base chemicals to burn the skin. Extensive chemistry knowledge required to properly handle the chemicals.

- Cold. This method uses solidified carbon dioxide (dry ice) to freeze-burn the design into flesh. As a form of chemical branding, extensive chemistry knowledge required to properly handle the dry ice.

- Wire frame. I only add this method to warn AGAINST its use. Bent wire is used to burn flesh, but is highly unsafe! The wire can get glowing hot quickly, sinking into melted skin like quicksand, then cooling just as quickly to get stuck under the wound and may need to be surgically removed. Please avoid this method.

How does the healing process differ for brandings?

Immediate care is standard burn first aid: the wound should be kept dry, clean, and unbandaged until scabbing forms, usually within the first 12 hours.

Once scabs have formed, the wound is still kept clean to avoid infection, but regular agitation of the burned flesh is necessary to increase scar tissue production. Medicinal creams and ointments with vitamin E which reduces scarring should be avoided. Even picking of scabs can be helpful, as well as, rubbing the brand with salt, citrus juice, vinegar or hydrogen peroxide can irritate the healing flesh in safe ways to promote scar tissue growth. Scratching and brushing the wounded with an unused toothbrush can also increase scarring. The key difference to healing a brand is to try to harvest scar tissue, rather than reduce it.

What are the safety considerations?  (Closing with safety so it can be spoke on the longest and will be freshest in the mind.)

- Third degree burn awareness. Knowledge of the different burn levels, symptoms and possible complications is highly recommended to properly care for the brand during and after the burning stage.

- Avoid branding people with medical conditions that may hinder healing or prone to infections.

- Steady hand. Branding flesh requires extreme precision; skin is burnt away quickly in most methods and even a slight jerk can ruin not just the brand but disfigure and damage beyond recovery. Practice on room temperature pig's ears, available in the meat section of most markets.

- Depth of burn. While branding is a third degree burn, it is important not to burn deeper than the outer layer of epidermis.

- Keloids. It is of utmost important to burn the flesh perpendicular to the surface of the skin to avoid keloids. Keloids form when the skin needs to heal under otherwise unaffected flesh, forcing scar tissue up through the skin, and ends up looking like an ugly bubble of ill-formed scarring.

Bonus question: What are some of the traditions within the BDSM/Leather community in regards to brandings?

- At one time, the brand was significant in showing a level of expertise achieved in being submissive, becoming a branded slave was thought of as the complimentary achievement to a dominant earning their cover and being declared a Master.

- It is thought that the vanilla equivalent commitment to being branded is being married.

- In the gay leather days, the Master would smoke a cigar during the branding, rubbing the ashes from it in to the brand to complete it.

**Feel free to ask  questions or post comments to the above points below.**

Posted

Branding is not something I would consider although other displays of ownership do appeal. But for anyone even curious about it, this is so thorough and expert knowledge shines through from @cade.

Posted
7 hours ago, Curvykate said:

Branding is not something I would consider although other displays of ownership do appeal. But for anyone even curious about it, this is so thorough and expert knowledge shines through from @cade.

Nor me Kate, though after @Cade discussion I am now certain that I would be the Dominant passed out on the floor at any branding ceremony. :joy:

When I was posting the notes I was impressed with the amount of information that had been condensed into them.

Posted (edited)

Thank you Thebian for posting up the notes. and Thank you Cade for hosting. 

i thoroughly enjoyed the Munch but i did have some questions that i felt a follow up discussion might be the right place for. 

* what are some of the psychological fences we need to move past to truly accept being branded? 

*how does a submissive prepare to be branded? are there any generic steps or procedures that would aid ? (meditation, 3rd party consult to affirm commitment etc) 

*How does a Dominant prepare ( as above ) 

Thanks x

Edited by Deleted Member
cant spell
Posted

Though apparently there's talk it's going to go down the same route as pierced labias which is now illegal

Posted
7 hours ago, Kymi said:

confused, is this actually lawful in UK?

I'm not sure about the UK, but branding is considered illegal in the US much like many of the activities we enjoy in BDSM.

Posted
9 hours ago, little_red_92 said:

* what are some of the psychological fences we need to move past to truly accept being branded? 

*how does a submissive prepare to be branded? are there any generic steps or procedures that would aid ? (meditation, 3rd party consult to affirm commitment etc) 

*How does a Dominant prepare ( as above ) 

The most notable fence would be overcoming the *** of being burnt and acceptance of scarring, for most I think. Aside that, it would be very personal, each individual having their own unique ***s and conundrums.

For my subs, the seven years of training to reach being branded as property tends to do most the work (by that time, they are itching to be burnt! Haha). But meditations can help both dominant and submissive, mediator affirmations are a plus, and a lot of research on burns and the commitment of branding can go a long ways. I do tend to meditate before brandings (not sure much for artistic burnings), but more so that I can "fix my intent" to represent the sincerity of the interaction.

Posted
On 10/25/2020 at 10:24 AM, Kymi said:

confused, is this actually lawful in UK?

After a fully licensed modification practitioner was prosecuted for Actual Bodily Harm and the conviction was upheld at the Court of Appeal.

It is safe to say that in the UK Branding is illegal under the law but then so are quite a lot of things we do. :$