New/inexperienced

Sharp

Posted

To be honest I’m kind of lost at where to start. I’m definitely new to all this, but have been interested for a long time, but don’t know how to find anyone local to me to help me learn and explore new experiences. Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Posted

The best place to meet people locally is to go where there are.

In normal times, there's munches and events - obviously the vast majority of these are off globally cos covid - but there's optimism some can return later this year or early next.

The next thing of course - is that there's nobody sat around wanting for newcomers to help them explore new experiences (or, maybe there is - but it sounds predatory, because it is) but meeting people and making friends is often a gateway to better things - and - of course if we're talking about learning, then talking with peers is a big learning experience and many areas have some form of workshops or as you get to know people it becomes easier to approach for help and advice.

Obviously in this idea you have to wait for things to reopen.... so... in the meantime...

there's a lot you can learn from discussions on forums like this one.  Read some magazine articles and some threads both newer and older.  Start a new thread if you have a question or point for discussion.

Of course, be wary of those in your inbox offering to help, especially if for a fee* - if it seems too good to be true, it probably is...

(*that said - professionals are a great way to explore new experiences. They just won't be in your inbox going "hey, I can help you") 

pomonagirl
Posted

eyemblacksheep has some great advice there!! i find out about munches, classes and dungeons/play parties on fetlife. Here in California things are finally starting to re-open. Right now there are lots of social and educational opportunities happening on zoom as well.
If you take the time to attend events it will give you more credibility as someone who is serious and exploring this lifestyle for positive reasons. This credibility can potentially make others more open to chatting or meeting up with you.