Is Coronavirus changing dating interactions?

ey****

Posted

We're early days into this Coronavirus pandemic for most of us.

The UK has just ordered bars, restaurants, etc. to close because of Coronavirus and I know US varies state to state. 
Munches and kink events are all off for the foreseeable future. 

Meeting up is also going to be fairly challenging while we face Coronavirus.  It'd be fairly irresponsible at the moment due to 'social distancing' (and the now lack of neutral meeting grounds). 

And, at this stage of things, I imagine if a loved one fell critically ill that you could trace back to you wanting to go off on a jolly; you'd feel abysmal if nothing else.

I hope things are looking better by the summer - but that's, well, 3/4 months away.

I'm half wondering how Coronavirus will shape some potential relationships.

Placing a personal ad is pretty moot. Nobody can meet you for months.

But, what I'm wondering is if things can form in a more organic way.

I'm thinking outside of kink; many of my past girlfriends had been people I'd known socially for a while before we 'got together' - that rapport and attraction and interest had probably grown over a while to the point of "hey, wanna go on a date sometime" became a bit easier and natural.

I think now in particular; it's possible to put time to good use.  Whether this is using extra time to boost or improve your general knowledge and what kinda things would and wouldn't work for you - but also as you interact more on the forums, or in chat if that's your thing and getting to know folk.

And, yeah - perhaps with immediate/online results being a total no go right now, will Coronavirus see a shift in how folk get to know each other?

Posted

Well, since I function solely through online chats, absolutely nothing changes for me.

I'm alright as long as the internet connection enables my virtual tentacles to reach you. lol

Posted

I wrote a comment, in the app, and it disappeared again.

I was simply saying that I'm going to use the time to get to know people better online and to interact more, write more and chat more. When this is all over and done with, I hope I'll have some good new friends to meet up with.

Posted

i do hope the covid19 virus dies down and everything goes the merry way.

Posted

Honestly it's refreshing to see such a nice view of the situation given all the chaos going on from people being reckless and selfish. Truth is good things can come from bad.
A major example is that the infamous Black death plague actually started a series of events that lead to more rights for poor people.
I doubt we will see anything as dramatic as that though lol some new couples appearing from this is certainly possible. After all even the most beautiful flowers grow from dirt.

Posted

Summer isn't going to help. People seem to forget that the southern hemisphere is being hit equally as bad right now and they're in summer.
We can only wait and hope it won't be that bad for too long.
On the bright side, it gives more time for us to talk without any physical interaction, which I think helps strengthen bonds (at least for those of us looking for something more serious).

Posted (edited)

The shut down of all non essentials has just occurred here in Oz - we're down to supermarkets, butchers, fruit and veg and chemists. So far we personally have been affected interaction-wise in that we cancelled our Mabon circle and everyone did their own thing at home, posting photos of their altars on the Coven site. And one of the members and her husband were in self isolation after being in contact with a mate who was infected.  So far, so good. :$ We are very concerned for our far-off friends in here, and they know who they are, the lovely, precious souls who have enriched our lives so much and in so many ways. I believe that as we all come to rely more on e-communication, there'll be some cyber-friendships that will deepen, and others will just irritate, as these contacts won't now be 'diluted' by real-time relationships, work, usual leisure activities, education and all the usual distractions that have always been a part of our lives. Work-wise we are not much affected,   with running a business online and the Vandal's self-employment is outdoors, so he and his customers don't have to worry about 'social distancing'. We've always kept chooks, and we've always grown much of our own veg., which has sky-rocketed in price here as thousands of farm properties were literally wiped out in the recent bush fires and we are no longer importing fruit and veg. I believe we'll be spending a lot more time improving the property - all those little jobs that we never have quite got around to.  Spending more time in touch with the Earth, rather than in touch with the pub, the local cafes or entertaining or being entertained by mates in real-time.

35 minutes ago, MaskedDom said:

Truth is good things can come from bad.

So very, very true.  Well said, MaskedDom - you always have something very sensible to say. There are so many ways to use this time to our mind/body/spirit advantage.  We might learn not to take so much for granted; we may remember how lucky we've been to live in societies/countries where there was constant abundance, and we could have anything we wanted provided we had the *** in our pocket; we could learn to value that abundance instead of casually wasting it; we can discover what we can do WITHOUT; we might learn to care more for our fellow men and women - although that seems a bit thin on the ground at present, given the snatching, stampeding, hoarding and grabbing still going on in the supermarkets here; we may learn to 'turn to and make do', learn some new survival skills when some things are no longer available;  there'll be places where some will even get to know their next door neighbours. I REALLY hope we learn to value the mobile phone and internet and use them for information and communication instead of playing with these tech-wonders as if they were toys.

A plague, bubonic or otherwise, a virus...they do not happen for no reason, nor  - I believe - do they happen at the whim of an angry deity or the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, nor do I believe it's Sodom and Gomorrah all over again. We can gain something good out of this world wide situation, if we're smart enough to learn.

Edited by Vandalslut
Posted

just to clarify my point re: Summer.  

My entire meaning is that it's 2-3 months away and we should have a clearer picture by then.

This week, some of the bars and restaurants in China have reopened after a month shut.  Whilst the UK is not China if it takes 6-10 weeks for things to start reopening we should have a clearer picture. And also in that time, if China starts to get new problems we can be prepared.

And, also, 2-3 months time gives time to get a lot of contingency and infrastructure in place - whether this is the NHS better equipped to manage, or more structure and normality on home working for a lot of folk.

-

In terms of bond strengthening, absolutely. Absolutely. And that was a lot of my point. And this could be new friendships, new prospective relationships, so on.  The people who feel they can put in the minimum effort and gain a meet will know meets cannot happen - so whether this means they just don't bother or whether they actually stop, breath and take time to actually understand what their desired partner-type would want from them, this is good.  For sure.

Posted
37 minutes ago, Vandalslut said:

So very, very true.  Well said, MaskedDom - you always have something very sensible to say. 

Thank you Vandalsut for those very kind words. Not sure if I deserve them lol but I agree with your point about using the time. I also hope people learn to value their friends and loved ones more after this.

After all you don't know what you have till it's gone and people suddenly find themselves separated from those people for a few weeks. They may just realise how much they enjoy those people's company and not take it for granted as much.

Posted
17 minutes ago, eyemblacksheep said:

My entire meaning is that it's 2-3 months away and we should have a clearer picture by then.

We've been told categorically by ***less Leader ScoMo that we can expect the non-essential shut down for six months at least - probably reviewing the situation each month.  Thanks to a monumentally, mind-buggeringly idiotic act by our alleged Minister for Health, the number of cases in New South Wales took a flying leap to over 200 more overnight.

6 minutes ago, MaskedDom said:

Not sure if I deserve them lol but I agree with your point about using the time. I also hope people learn to value their friends and loved ones more after this.

You deserve 'em. :$

qwertytothemax
Posted

Completely agree. This virus can lead to new friends and acquaintances.

Posted

Maybe people will actually chat now, and get to know each other.

Posted
4 minutes ago, LazyPiratesBounty said:

I'm reading those posts, and I'm like: Welcome to my world. xD

Posted

I've just received a text telling me I'm on the seriously at risk list. I'm not allowed to leave my house at all and my mistress is not allowed within 3 yards of me. Hmm that's gonna make it a bit more difficult 😂

Posted
7 hours ago, Christopher1972 said:

I've just received a text telling me I'm on the seriously at risk list. I'm not allowed to leave my house at all and my mistress is not allowed within 3 yards of me. Hmm that's gonna make it a bit more difficult 😂

If you're on the seriously at risk list, then stay home and stay safe :heart: - that next restriction is definitely harsh!  Blessings and luck, Christopher.

Posted
16 hours ago, LazyPiratesBounty said:

I hope, but the sad truth is that it probably won't happen =(

Posted
32 minutes ago, Sycc said:

That's the spirit 😆

Posted
17 hours ago, LazyPiratesBounty said:

I agree, Bounty, mate. It's happening here already - there's a lot of people going for walks up and down our road, as it is a pretty area and heads into the bush, and a lot of them I've not seen before - but they say 'Hi' and wave.  Not to mention the multitudes that met in the Centrelink queues yesterday. And I think as this situation goes on, there'll be families and neighbours teaming up to help each other.

Posted
43 minutes ago, Vandalslut said:

I agree, Bounty, mate. It's happening here already - there's a lot of people going for walks up and down our road, as it is a pretty area and heads into the bush, and a lot of them I've not seen before - but they say 'Hi' and wave.  Not to mention the multitudes that met in the Centrelink queues yesterday. And I think as this situation goes on, there'll be families and neighbours teaming up to help each other.

Except that that's exactly what should NOT happen.  Multitudes of any kind is what we have to avoid at all costs at the moment.  The person you quoted meant chatting as in using actual electronic chat.

Posted
1 hour ago, Sycc said:

Except that that's exactly what should NOT happen.  Multitudes of any kind is what we have to avoid at all costs at the moment.  The person you quoted meant chatting as in using actual electronic chat.

Sorry - e-chat, of course. Not enough coffee...We're a bit luckier here in Oz - we haven't got total lockdown, although most shops, all pubs, clubs, eateries, etc are closed as are most other businesses.  I agree, the multitudes shouldn't have been gathering - but they were the multitudes heading to enrol for unemployment benefits having suddenly found they were abruptly out of work. There was no use sending them home as the pertinent website collapsed under the strain, as did the customer service phone line, so they had no option other than to gather in a multitude...strange days, indeed.

Posted
10 hours ago, Sycc said:

just remember, I guess.  Still nobody owes anyone a chat.  

But, there's even less excuse for those who send the more basic messages.  There's time to spend researching, I won't say 'techniques' but ways to interact and approach people

Just by posting on the forum you are doing this.   Then you might find, with more free time, you've more time to contribute to other posts and within this all there might be folk who gain your attention who those whose attention you gain.

That, also, if you do start chatting to someone there's no pressure on "when do I raise about meeting?" cos none of us can meet.   So, conversation can be kept on.  

Posted

That said @eyemblacksheep i'm still getting the "i'm looking for a sugar baby, what's your hangouts?" 

@Sycc tbh, any chatting is welcome. Social distancing doesn't mean emotional distancing and for the love of God, stop stockpiling everything!

Posted

I'm alone anyway, doesn't change much for me

Posted

Having lock down imposed I know is going to do a number on my mental well-being as I don't cope so well on my own.

I am lucky enough in that my work hasn't been closed... yet so that can distract the mind but being I've seen 12+ hours a day for the past 4 week I know that 'novelty' is going to wear very thin very soon.

I know I am starting to feel myself slip down the slippery road of depression, I have been riding a high the past week or 2.

Talking to friends over chat and on here is very appreciated although a physical presence is needed for me and knowing that is something I can't get for at least 3 week is just tumbling me further.

Sorry for the long rant just needed it off my chest but this is how I feel over this whole situation at the moment.

Posted (edited)

We run  out of subs... annoying as fuck!

Edited by May25Geo35