Gender/sexuality choices for profiles

Ma****

Posted (edited)

Hello, I've been a member of fetish.com for around 2 years and while generally amazing, I believe the gender/sexuality choices could use some improvement for such a diverse community.

I'm a 23yr trans woman but it is difficult to effectively communicate this. Other sites and apps like FetLife and Feeld explicitly have options like "MtF trans" or "trans woman". This would be be much more inclusive and allow people to explore their sexuality as well as their kinks. As people under the "trans" category may in-fact belong to disparate categories such as but not limited to: MtF; MtF; cross-dresser; sissy; transvestite; trans-feminine; trans-masculine and so on, having the ability to specify this would be helpful. Quite often, people might be attracted to women (cis or trans) or perhaps might be looking specifically for a cross-dresser type.

After speaking with a number of trans individuals in the "Lobby" chat, I sense there's definitely a desire for the option of a more trans inclusive approach.

Personally, I *am* a woman (female in the parlance of the site), but also trans. Because I want to be authentic, a workaround has been for me to select "Female" for my profile but state that I'm "MtF transgender" in my profile description.

I really want to be open and clear about my status as transgender because I know so many men are not open to this but at the same time would like to connect with those who genuinely are welcoming and accepting of this.

The intention of this post is to raise this with the community and build the case for improvements. It's not a frivolous complaint, it's a legitimate issue that affects a disproportionate number of people compared to vanilla dating sites.

Hope that makes sense, I do apologize for the overall verbosity but I think it's probably better than a one-line post.

Thanks!

Magenta x

Edited by MagickalMagenta
Posted

Hi @MagickalMagenta, thank you for taking the time to write this post and share your feedback. It is always welcome – and the points you raise are more than valid. Myself and the entire Fetish team want everyone to feel seen and included. Inclusivity is imperative to the wellbeing of our community, and I agree that sometimes it is not always reflected with the choices given. I can tell you exactly why this is: Fetish.com and the FET app are part of a bigger company that owns a variety of dating websites and apps. The software is the same for every app and site, and technical restraints mean that we only have a very small number of options, until the tech team changes the software for all. I can promise you that we (the Fetish team) have been pushing and lobbying for changes to reflect our diverse community, in line with the suggestions you have mentioned. It's great that you have raised these points here, because this will give us even more impetus to push for such changes. 

Thank you again for your message – rest assured that it will be taken onboard. Feel free to reach out to me personally and we can discuss in greater length. 

Annalou xoxox