Best BDSM books?

Posted
I never actually read a book on the topic when I first got interested several years ago. (I'm stuck on Chapter 5 of The Ethical Slut but not sure that counts?) I read a lot of blogs and writings but no books so far.
So what would you recommend?
Posted
Amazon have plenty of books on this subject
Posted
3 minutes ago, luvablenut said:
Amazon have plenty of books on this subject

yes they do. I was looking for recommendations from kinksters here.

Posted

can't comment if u r after how to manuals, but if its stories Gor series and check out litrotica

Posted
My favourite books are SM101 by Jay Weismann, The control book by Peter Masters, The Loving Dominant, Screw the Roses send me the thorns.

The later is written from both sub and dom perspectives.

Rope books, shibari suspensions by Gestalta, The Rope bottoms guide (free online) by Clover. I dont rate 2 knotty boys books especially for suspension harnesses.
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dragonflylover said:

yes they do. I was looking for recommendations from kinksters here.

My sub would recommend all of them

Posted
5 minutes ago, luvablenut said:

My sub would recommend all of them

Every book that Amazon sell on BDSM?

Posted
8 minutes ago, Kymi said:

can't comment if u r after how to manuals, but if its stories Gor series and check out litrotica

Actually could do with some more erotica on the Kindle! Thank you Kymi

Posted
9 minutes ago, TheBookCollector said:
My favourite books are SM101 by Jay Weismann, The control book by Peter Masters, The Loving Dominant, Screw the Roses send me the thorns.

Rope books, shibari suspensions by Gestalta, The Rope bottoms guide (free online) by Clover. I dont rate 2 knotty boys books especially for suspension harnesses.

Thank you TBC, lots to check out. I am not a rigger but I know a few who want to learn more. 👍🏻

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dragonflylover said:

Every book that Amazon sell on BDSM?

Most of them. She has been reading them for a while

Posted
1 minute ago, luvablenut said:

Most of them. She has been reading them for a while

I can't afford more than one or two. That's why I asked here and possibly others are similarly restricted?

Posted
The two "go to's" that are often referenced are two that The Book Collector already mentioned: SM101 and Screw The Roses Send Me The Thorns
Posted
29 minutes ago, gemini_man said:
The two "go to's" that are often referenced are two that The Book Collector already mentioned: SM101 and Screw The Roses Send Me The Thorns

Always good to have a second recommendation. As a male sub, is there something in these books for you?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dragonflylover said:

Always good to have a second recommendation. As a male sub, is there something in these books for you?

For sure - I've got used over the years to swapping out female sub for male sub in readings generally and for the most part (obvious physical differences aside of course) there's a relevance regardless of gender.

Posted
28 minutes ago, gemini_man said:

For sure - I've got used over the years to swapping out female sub for male sub in readings generally and for the most part (obvious physical differences aside of course) there's a relevance regardless of gender.

good to hear although I'm sure you'd like not to always have to swap out...

Posted
7 minutes ago, Dragonflylover said:

good to hear although I'm sure you'd like not to always have to swap out...

Most of the time it's fairly generic - so it's really no big deal

Posted
2 hours ago, TheBookCollector said:

Interested to know why you don't rate two knotty boys, i was chatting to someone who did (as well as twisted monk) so good to get an opposing viewpoint

Posted

an oldie but always a fantastic book for new people starting out was "screw the roses send me the thorns"  still on Amazon i think.

Posted
How legal they are I don't know (and will leave you to use your own judgement on that) but both Screw The Roses and SM101 are fairly widely available in PDF format for free
Posted
2 hours ago, CopperKnob said:

Interested to know why you don't rate two knotty boys, i was chatting to someone who did (as well as twisted monk) so good to get an opposing viewpoint

Most of the ties they do in the books are more decorative rather than functional bondage, I also dont know any riggers that use coin knots, etc

I wouldnt use any of the harnesses they teach to do suspension as they look like they would collapse under the strain and put the rope bottom at risk.

Thats my personal opinion, others may disagree and thats their right.

Posted
43 minutes ago, gemini_man said:
How legal they are I don't know (and will leave you to use your own judgement on that) but both Screw The Roses and SM101 are fairly widely available in PDF format for free

Ooh. I have to admit I have a free version of the Ethical Slut. ☺️

Posted
7 minutes ago, TheBookCollector said:
@copperknob, ive watched twisted monk vids are quite good, i didnt know hed done any books, theres also Esinem who has some vids on his site Esinem Rope and youtube if theyre still there.

Thankyou, I've had a look at some of the Esinem video's too

Posted

I always recommend Jacqueline Carey when it cones to fiction that encompasses BDSM elements, particularly for those who may feel they have a masochistic or Sadistic leanings, the way she weaves it in doesn't feel ***d, pretentious or clumsy, and the insights feel authentic..the Kushiels Dart series is a fabulous read in its own right, in my opinion, but I adore sci-fi and fantasy anyway so I may be biased 😊

With more "practical/manual" type books, like you I haven't really bothered with, though I do own a handful, The Art of Sensual Female Dominance (A Guide For Women) ,  Female Dominant (The Games She Plays) both by Claudia Varrin, and Female Domination by Elise Sutton..these were raffle prizes I won at a fetish event and came highly recommended, but I've only flicked through them so can't recommend them myself from personal experience..I've also got a couple of specifically BDSM fiction books but not picked those up either..friends/family outside the lifestyle know I love books and that I'm kinky so it's a common prezzie come my birthday or Christmas..not sure the town charity shop would take them though and I just can't bring myself throw books away. 😱