This may be an odd question...

lo****

Posted

Do people like getting random compliments in their inboxes?
I may send one on occasion when the mood strikes me. I am never expecting anything more than they read it, and hopefully are at least pleased.

If someone wanted to talk more, I would most likely be open, but is never expected. I just like to compliment people on things I see and appreciate.

Posted
I don't think I'm the norm, but I prefer compliments that aren't simply flattery. I always say, "thank you", but unless the man has dug a little deeper, I wish him well and go about my day.
Posted
compliments are always nice i never expect them either online or IRL but its nice when they do happen
Posted
I try to from time to time… but some take it as, I’m like 2,000 miles away how dare you waste my time! You are putting yourself out there and a compliment does go a long way…
Posted
Giving a compliment is pot luck unfortunately. Many will possibly state that you’re being creepy or take it as a come on etc & overlook the real genuine reason behind it.
I think compliments are old school which for me personally, goes far. I’ve got on my profile, ‘just because I complement someone doesn’t mean it’s a comment-on’
I met my partner on here via a simple but lovely complimentary message he sent me. I was so used to getting demanding messages or ‘Hi’ that, to suddenly receive a lovely message complimenting me & my profile, someone who had taken them time out to read my profile, one that didn’t require a reply or demand to know more about me but simply ended by wishing me a lovely day & time on this site, it was a breath of fresh air.
I replied straight away…& today we live together.
I wasn’t even looking for a relationship but his message was so lovely & I got to know him before I knew his Dom side. That, for me showed how genuine he was. Someone who wasn’t scared to say hello, wasn’t scared to compliment & wasnt expectant of anything.
I truly believe that if you see something beautiful, you should say. What’s the point in keeping it to yourself & someone is offended by a compliment or suspicious then that’s ok, move onto the next beautiful being.
Posted
It very much depends on if the compliment is heartfelt and genuine, which for most men receiving them from women it usually is.
Sadly the other way round a lot are sent as a means to an end and not in the slightest bit genuine.
Personally I'm not good at taking compliments and never quite know what to say in response to them, but appreciate them all the same.
Posted
I don't have a problem with it. If it is done right it will be pretty clear if it is honest and genuine! 😘
Posted
I think it depends on the intention of the sender and the recipient interprets it.
I personally dislike any compliment about looks with no other thoughts on anything other than physicality.
It also depends, for me, if I've interacted with the sender elsewhere before they end up in my inbox. It helps me gauge their intention.
I think that I don't send men a compliment it's because they latch on to them and see it as something more, that there's potential for more.
Compliments do make me cringe inside though 😂
Posted

occasionally, and not for a while.  usually someone saying they liked something I wrote

I also occasionally get the random insult, when someone dislikes something I wrote and want to tell me I'm an asshole :) 

Posted
What I understood from women is that they get so many of them, they kinda become desensitized for compliments and find them annoying or not sincere.

On the other hand, when I get a compliment myself it pretty much makes my week and boosts my self-confidence!
Posted

I was telling somebody a week or two ago about one of my most memorable message exchanges which - to me - highlighted the positive/community aspects of the site.

One of my earliest exchanges came from an unexpected and random compliment from a young man in the US of age 18 or 19 who messaged me out of the blue to say he'd seen me on the forums, wanted to assure me me that he was straight and he absolutely wasn't hitting on me (bless), but that he thought my hair was amazing and hoped it was okay to tell me. It turned out he wanted to grow his own out but had never quite been brave enough to. We spent a couple of weeks messaging, chatting mostly about hair and music I think, before he left the site.

I don't really remember getting many other compliments in my inbox - perhaps a few saying they appreciated one of my comments in the forum - but I would welcome them. I think that one sticks out because I could tell it was authentic, there wasn't any angle being played or an agenda. I'm getting better at receiving compliments but typically in the past have felt a bit awkward and/or suspicious about it all.

The whole "how are they going to take it" thing, that's something else too. In person I try to give authentic compliments when the opportunity arises, but I think when you're not online it's easier to not be misconstrued. I had a right to-do in my hospital's urgent care waiting room last month, I was itching to tell this woman how much I liked her dress (it was a VERY cool dress 🤣) but didn't because I got worried she or the other patients waiting would think I was some creepy weirdo trying to pick her up and it could have made the rest of the wait to be seen extremely awkward 🙈... if we had instead been simply passing one another whilst out walking, I don't think I'd have hesitated to share my thoughts. 

Posted

it's kinda also the line on what constitutes as a compliment

some might seem a little on the densitise - but

it's not like women approaching men and going "fuck me, you're beautiful" is common, when of course anyone with confidence issues it might boost their esteem

there's ladies I know who don't think they're particularly attractive and being told they're beautiful doesn't really do much to change their mind - because they either don't believe it or feel that for whatever reason the other person is saying it as a joke or to try to bed them or whatever.

But, like, if a straight guy got a "fuck me you're beautiful" from a guy, how - realistically - would most guys feel about this?  I mean if you're like "aw, thanks, but you should know I'm straight" it's probably in most cases not going to have the esteem boost.  And if you kinda think of it like that - you can see why it's not as flattering to women as you might think

The general vibe for compliments having much meaning is on stuff the other person made an effort or decision to do - I like what you've done with your hair, I love the colour of your nails, that's a nice bag, I really liked what you wrote on the forum, I really like spending time with you, etc

it makes for a different experience. 

Posted

For me, I dislike compliments as a whole haha. Like if a guy or gal comes up and compliments my hair (which happens a lot in RL) I'm like thanks! It's a passing compliment. 

Online, I am much more guarded and aware, because on sites like this, it is usually a grasp for someone's attention more often than a compliment in passing. I don't really take compliments on board when it is online for this reason. Unless it's someone I have been getting to know and have some sort of bond with. 

That said however, I do get mostly the same sort of compliments from guys, solely based on my looks. I don't respond to these. I am very insecure and in part don't believe it, but also in part of not wanting to be objectified (depending on what said compliment stated). 

I rarely use my inbox, I am mostly in chat, so for me, I would compliment someone in there than in their inbox. I have myself complimented men, with intent of their attention sure, but more often than not, it's to genuinely tell them what I like about them or their profile. 

Compliments work for some people and when worded right can go a long way. 

Posted
11 hours ago, Aranhis said:

I was telling somebody a week or two ago about one of my most memorable message exchanges which - to me - highlighted the positive/community aspects of the site.

One of my earliest exchanges came from an unexpected and random compliment from a young man in the US of age 18 or 19 who messaged me out of the blue to say he'd seen me on the forums, wanted to assure me me that he was straight and he absolutely wasn't hitting on me (bless), but that he thought my hair was amazing and hoped it was okay to tell me. It turned out he wanted to grow his own out but had never quite been brave enough to. We spent a couple of weeks messaging, chatting mostly about hair and music I think, before he left the site.

I don't really remember getting many other compliments in my inbox - perhaps a few saying they appreciated one of my comments in the forum - but I would welcome them. I think that one sticks out because I could tell it was authentic, there wasn't any angle being played or an agenda. I'm getting better at receiving compliments but typically in the past have felt a bit awkward and/or suspicious about it all.

The whole "how are they going to take it" thing, that's something else too. In person I try to give authentic compliments when the opportunity arises, but I think when you're not online it's easier to not be misconstrued. I had a right to-do in my hospital's urgent care waiting room last month, I was itching to tell this woman how much I liked her dress (it was a VERY cool dress 🤣) but didn't because I got worried she or the other patients waiting would think I was some creepy weirdo trying to pick her up and it could have made the rest of the wait to be seen extremely awkward 🙈... if we had instead been simply passing one another whilst out walking, I don't think I'd have hesitated to share my thoughts. 

That was an awesome response.. I will only add this .. I love giving compliments even if they're not deserved simply bc nine times out of ten someone is going to smile and feel just as smidge better than the moment before. That's not to say that I don't truly give 100% heartfelt compliments when I truly dig something cuz I do but I'll also throw them at a random just to make people feel good and I find that if you're calling me in a woman's dress and scared you're going to sound creepy or whatever .. I simply say my wife would love that dress I'll have to tell her about it... A simple redirection of mode of appreciation usually breaks the ice and people are more apt to receive the compliment more graciously from a random person .. this especially works when I see a woman who is clearly having a bad day. Hit her with the comment and BAM!!!! day just got a lil bit better ..

Posted
If someone did that, it would make my day
Heck, my whole week

Guys get complimented so rarely, so every single one feels just awesome ❤️
Posted
16 hours ago, Finally_Jen said:

For me, I dislike compliments as a whole haha. Like if a guy or gal comes up and compliments my hair (which happens a lot in RL) I'm like thanks! It's a passing compliment. 

Online, I am much more guarded and aware, because on sites like this, it is usually a grasp for someone's attention more often than a compliment in passing. I don't really take compliments on board when it is online for this reason. Unless it's someone I have been getting to know and have some sort of bond with. 

That said however, I do get mostly the same sort of compliments from guys, solely based on my looks. I don't respond to these. I am very insecure and in part don't believe it, but also in part of not wanting to be objectified (depending on what said compliment stated). 

I rarely use my inbox, I am mostly in chat, so for me, I would compliment someone in there than in their inbox. I have myself complimented men, with intent of their attention sure, but more often than not, it's to genuinely tell them what I like about them or their profile. 

Compliments work for some people and when worded right can go a long way. 

Yeah. I don't compliment people on things they can't change, or are hard to. Things like what they have done with their hair, their outfit choices, something they said that drew my attention, their tattoos on occasion. Something they obviously put time and effort into.

YorkshireBiker
Posted

I’d personally like it and would make an effort to reply in some way, be that an thank you or a return compliment if applicable. I’ve made it clear on my profile that I’m not looking for anything and I’m married but exchanging pleasantries wouldn’t be a concern. 

Posted
I'm just gonna say it. Just once as a man i would love for a woman to send me something in my inbox or even better send me a physical based in appropriate, mostly sexual advance. I just wanna be used as your damn sex toy and have you admit it for once lol. Maybe it's cause I'm normally the one in control from start to finish???
Posted

I get the odd message now and then. While the genuine ones are nice. I get the obvious spam messages when someone has clearly not read my profile properly.

I am sure most people though like getting compliments, though I imagine for some users, especially those with nudes etc, they probably get spammed quite a lot where I imagine getting some messages is not so great and possibly borderline creepy. (I could be wrong).

Posted

I don't expect to get any, though every so often I do, particularly about what I said or how I said it on the forum. Regardless, it makes my day, I love receiving messages in general, talking to people on here and such. I don't tend to seek it out all too much, given I mostly reply on the forums, but it can be wonderful to talk to people here personally. 

Posted

I think a compliment is always glorious to recieve, we are all wanting to be seen. I like writting and compliments and comments really make it worth while for me to continue.

• 1 month later...
MrLeatherCrotchBoots
Posted

It is always nice to get a compliment and I always take the time to thank people for them

• 3 weeks later...
MasterDarcy1979
Posted

I've been complimented on my profile almost on a daily basis.

Do I like it? It really depends on the complimenter.

I get the impression that it's an ice breaker rather than a standalone compliment.

I suppose it's better than a "Hello", etc. Those kinds of initial messages result in me putting a spell on the messenger. :p